To celebrate Australia Day I’ve put together a list of my favourite things about our friends down under ….
- They are so relaxed ABOUT EVERYTHING. I have never met a stressed out Australian. They are always happy to just go with the flow.
- They love to drink. If you ever need a drinking buddy they are always up for a night out.
- They absolutely love travelling. Every hostel you go to, wherever it is in the world, will have at least one Aussie in it. It’s great because it means I am never short of a travel companion.
- They teach you cute Australian phrases such as “old mate” (this one has always baffled me. Old mate is rarely actually a friend of theirs… Old mate can be almost anyone- crazy!)
- They keep you entertained by telling you their awesome stories from home. Life seriously couldn’t be more different for those down under. Their babies get stolen by dingos & they spend Christmas at the beach (what!)
- Australia is so far away yet so intriguing. It’s much more tempting to go knowing you have awesome friends to go and visit.
- It’s great to tease them when England wins The Ashes. When Australia win banter is not acceptable at all though.
- They are so bloody sociable. You just cannot stop them from making friends as they are all so damn likeable.
- They are complete hard nuts. Yes, they might be nice, fun people but my god are they troopers too. Nothing stops them from going on a night out … If you ever feel like you’re whimpering & backing out of a party they’ll shove a glass in your hand and tell you to man the hell up.
- They’re fearless. They come from the land of killer spiders and snakes. Nothing in Europe could possibly scare them.
- Timekeeping isn’t their top priority. If you’re running a few minutes late then you shouldn’t worry because it’s likely your chilled out Aussie friend is too.
- They’ve grown up on the other side of the world. They’ve had such a different upbringing that they really open your eyes to how big the world is and this makes me even more excited to explore it.